Updated Safe Start Requirements - October 06, 2020

Today, Governor Inslee announced updated Safe Start requirements for a number of activities ... [more...]

Sound Transit - South Bellevue Construction Alert - April 01, 2020

Visit Sound Transit's East Link Extension page for the latest information about Sound Transit con... [more...]

COVID-19 / Coronavirus Resources - March 04, 2020

King County is responding to the emergence of COVID-19 (coronavirus) in our community and has act... [more...]


Zoning Considerations and Changes

The Town's Comprehensive Plan sets forth the Town's vision for preserving the Town's special character will preparing for future growth.

The Town's Zoning Code establishes the rules that regulate the development of private property in the Town so that the vision and goals of the Comprehensive Plan can be realized.

There are times when the strict interpretation of the Zoning Code places an undue hardship on a particular property due to the physical characteristics of the site.  In those cases, a property owner may seek relief from that strict interpretation by requesting a variance.  The instructions and application form for this process are listed below.  Variance requests are heard and decided by the Town Hearing Examiner at a public hearing.

There are times when a property owner wishes to subdivide his/her property.  There a very few lots left in Beaux Arts that are large enough to subdivide into legal lots of the minimum 10,000 sq. ft. required by the Zoning Code; however, for those few owners of eligible lots, we have provided the instructions and application forms for Subdivisions below.

Lastly, there may be times when adjacent property owners want to change the location of the property line dividing their properties.  For this action, we provide instructions and the application form for Baoundary Line Adjustments below.

Requests for subdivisions and boundary-line adjustments are reviewed by the Town Engineer and heard and decided by the Town Council at a public hearing.

Some owners may be interested in developing an accessory-dwelling unit (ADU), often referred to as a mother-in-law unit, on their property.  We provide a fact sheet to help outline the rules for these units and answer some of your questions.

If you need additional help with any of these issues or have questions, please contact one of the Town Clerks.

Contact Info

Sue Ann Spens, Clerk/Treasurer
For Subdivisions and BLAs

Angela Kulp, Deputy Clerk
For Variances